Macau Moorish Barracks
Located at the Calcada da Barra, close to the A-Ma Temple, the Macau Moorish Barracks were originally named “Quartel dos Mouros” in Portuguese. Today it is called 'Edificao da Capitania dos Portos
In order to reinforce the local police force in a move to keep peace and order, an Indian regiment was brought to Macao from Goa.
In 1871, an Italian architect named Cassuto designed the Moorish-style building to accommodate the Indian policemen. The construction of the building was completed in August 1874.
According to historical records, there were two hundred Indian soldiers stationed in the Macau Moorish Barracks.
In 1905, the building became offices for Marine and Customs Police and now houses the Macao Maritime Administration.
Built in 1874 on the slope of Barra Hill, the Macau Moorish Barracks is a brick and stone neo-classical structure in Meditaerranean style with some Moorish influences giving it an exotic appearance.
Measuring around 67 by 37 metres, the Macau Moorish Barracks stand on a raised granite platform that is elevated from the street level. To the rear the construction has two floors, while the rest of the building has only one floor.
Spacious 4-metre-wide verandas with Moorish pointed arches run along all sides of the building except that facing Barra Hill. They enhance the surrounding views and fits the local climate. The verandas are lined with nineteen 1.5 metre-wide Moorish pointed arches.
The three-layer decorations in between the arches and the arrangement of the square and pointed ornaments on the parapet walls resemble mosaics and have an impressively beautiful and subtle rhythm.
The building is painted light yellow, with most of the details picked out in white. The huge granite-bearing wall below contrasts with the light painted plaster walls above in texture and colour.
The Moorish Barracks is one of the 22 cultural sites which constitute the Historic Center of Macao which was inscribed in teh UNESCO Worl Heritage List in 2005.